Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

GEN in line

What I actually meant to say is GET in line...because that's what you'll have to do if you want to experience the best Korean Yakiniku (aka BBQ), outside of Los Angeles's K-Town!

I was born and raised in New York, but at the age of 10 years-old my parents dragged me kicking and screaming to....Hawaii.  Yeah, yeah I know I can be a total brat sometimes.  However, if you were in my shoes, going through that awkward growth phase where everyone says, "Oh, you are going to be so pretty when you grow up!"...but the truth of the matter is your teeth don't know what straight is and your limbs are just..not..proportionate, you wouldn't be too excited to leave your friends and the awesome cousins you grew up with either.  The people and culture in Hawaii is so diverse, and unlike any other state in this country.  Think of it as a big melting pot.  Basically what it means for Foodies like you and I, is that we can pretty much find every style of culinary fare imaginable, AND all within a pretty close proximity to each other.  The cuisine is fairly traditional, and as authentic as if I was eating Jenn Kim's homemade Mandoo (thnx Omoni!).  
WE LOVE Korean food.  The 3 most popular Korean places in Hawaii are Yummy Korean BBQ (it's like a fast food version), Sorabol, and Millions.  I have to admit that the last two make the list solely based on the fact that they are both opened really....really late.  I mean like till 5am late...as in a few of the only places you can go to eat after a long night of partying.  Since I have moved to L.A. I haven't been to a Korean yakiniku restaurant that beats or even comes close to my favorite, Millions.  For an establishment to make the cut, they have to excel in 3 categories: 
3) The side dishes have to be varied, plentiful, and housemade
2) They have to give good dipping sauces and seasonings (miso past, sea salt, white pepper, etc.)
1)The meat selection has to be fresh, and of high quality cuts (not too fatty, freshly marinated)


...and we finally discovered a place that not only meets all 3 requirements, but one that can also compete with our hometown favorites!  Gen Korean BBQ and Yakitori Bar in Tustin, CA.  We went around lunch time and there was about a 15-20min wait.  The restaurant was recently remodeled, so it's very clean and inviting.  The staff is super attentive and very helpful with translating the menu.  The only downside is that it's not properly ventilated.  Most of the more established and modern yakiniku restaurants have fans/vents built into the grills, or at least a suction vent attached to the ceiling.  This way you don't walk out of there smelling like a grilling pit, which we totally did that day.  But I have to admit that it was sooooo worth it!  The meat/seafood selection, sauces, and side dishes were so yummy.  The best part....it was all you can eat for $40 per couple!  Need I say more?....I don't think so!            

No comments:

Post a Comment